Happy Birthday to Me
Most of my photography is outdoor sporting goods, very boring stuff so my pictures rarely grace the pages of this site. Obviously I enjoy photographing people and wildlife but I rarely have the opportunity for human subjects and I lacked the gear for wildlife.
Things have changed recently, a few weeks ago around 6am I was walking my German Shepherd Dog “Sullivan” at a local Army Corp of Engineers dam here in Connecticut and we happened across a family of foxes. Since that time we have been visiting them almost nightly and have found it quite enjoyable. Unfortunately I lacked a suitable lens for decent photos so my girl has been bringing her trusty old Nikon D7000 with a Nikon 18-300 f/3.5-6.3G ED VR lens. Nearly every night she would say to me “I can’t believe you don’t have a lens that you can use”. The sad truth is I operate on a budget and if a piece of gear isn’t related to income I won’t typically buy it.
Well it just so happens that my 53rd birthday is days away and my girl was eager to buy me something I didn’t have and wouldn’t buy for myself, you can do the rest of the math. She bought me the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR model number 20058. But wait!, that’s only part of the story. The Nikon 200-500mm is pretty much a fixed price of about $1396. That’s the price at all the usual sources except one, Adorama. Adorama is selling the lens the same as everyone else for $1396 but they are also selling it with a Manfrotto Element Traveler Big Tripod which is reviewed very well and valued at about $140. The part number for the lens, tripod combination is 20058 TR and Adorama SKU: NK200500TR.
Click here to see the Nikon 200-500mm/Manfrotto combination for yourself, and click here learn about the Manfrotto Element Traveler Big Tripod.
It will be about a week before I get to try the lens so stay tuned for a review and first pictures!
Save $149.88 in “Accessory Savings” when you buy this Nikon 200-500mm. This Value Bundle comes with a Nikon 200-500mm and a Manfrotto Element Traveler Big and Shipping is free!
AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR
The Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR is an exhilarating lens option, giving enthusiast FX and DX-format photographers the ability to go further with amazing zoom power and tack-sharp clarity. This compact super-telephoto zoom is ideal for bringing distant subjects closer, including birds, sports, wildlife and motorsports. This lens opens the doors for a fresh new perspective; with a maximum reach of 500mm on FX-format Nikon cameras and a staggering 750mm equivalent reach on DX-format cameras. With a maximum aperture of f/5.6, photographers have the ability to fill much of the frame with their subject and create a pleasing background blur, even in challenging light. This lens also features Nikon’s Electromagnetic Aperture for consistent exposures, as well as VR with 4.5 stops of image stabilization. Additionally, the VR features Sport Mode, which is well-suited for capturing vibrant, sharp images of distant subjects at high frame rates or when panning with fast-moving action. The lens also lets users focus as close as 7.2 ft. throughout the entire focal range, for when a decisive play comes closer than expected, or capturing intricate details of nature.
Whether spending all day at an air race or in the field, the NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6 is surprisingly lightweight at only 5 lbs 1.2 oz. (2300 grams) including the tripod collar, making this lens easy to use handheld for extended periods. Photographers looking for even more reach can increase the zoom power using an optional compatible Nikon 1.4x, 1.7x or 2x E series Teleconverters to capture even the most distant subjects.
The AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR’s optical formula features three ED elements to enhance sharpness and minimize chromatic aberration. A 9-blade aperture provides a desirable, smooth bokeh, while Nikon’s Silent Wave Motor technology helps to quickly and quietly achieve critical focus.
Nikon 200-500mm Features
- Lightweight, compact super telephoto zoom: Whether your subject is far in the distance or close, fast or slow, you can landthe shot. On FX-format cameras, 500mm brings distant birds, wildlife, athletes, performers, landmarks and more into tight focus.DX format cameras add an additional 1.5x zoom effect for an angle of view equal to 750mm
- 4.5 stops of Vibration Reduction: at super telephoto distances, the smallest camera movements can cause image blur.Vibration Reduction image stabilization counteracts camera shake up to 4.5 stops for sharp photos and steady videos
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism: An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel provides highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting. With conventional D/G type lenses, the diaphragm blades are operated by mechanical linkage
- ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) Glass: An optical glass developed by Nikon that is used with normal optical glass in telephoto lenses to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- IF Lens: A NIKKOR lens in which only the internal lens group shifts during focusing. Thus, IF NIKKORS do not change in size during AF operation, allowing for compact, lightweight lenses capable of closer focusing distances. These lenses will be designated with the abbreviation IF on the lens barrel.
- M/A: Select NIKKOR lenses have a focusing mode which allows switching from automatic to manual focusing with virtually no lag time by simply turning the focusing ring on the lens. This makes it possible to seamlessly switch to fine manual focusing while looking through the viewfinder.
- Silent Wave Motor: AF-S NIKKOR lenses feature Nikon’s Silent Wave Motor (SWM), which represents a significant advance in AF lens technology. SWM uses ultrasonic vibrations rather than a gear system to focus the lens, providing incredibly smooth, silent and precise autofocus operation.
- Super Integrated Coating: Nikon Super Integrated Coating is Nikon’s term for its multilayer coating of the optical elements in NIKKOR lenses.
Manfrotto Element Traveler Big 5-Section Aluminum Tripod and Monopod with Ball Head, 17.6lbs Capacity, 65″ Maximum Height, Red
Manfrotto Element is the perfect choice for passionate travelers and enthusiast photographers, looking for something lightweight but stable, colorful and with a good value for money.
The Manfrotto Element Traveler Big tripod kit provides a great solution for those who are looking for a compact solution but needs to support cameras from CSC to DSLR with large lenses. It also gives the flexibility to switch between tripod and monopod applications thanks to the detachable leg.
It includes a bag that is designed to make transportability and handling quick and easy.
The Manfrotto Element Traveler Big tripod kit provides a great solution for those who are looking for a compact solution but needs to support cameras from CSC to DSLR with large lenses. It also gives the flexibility to switch between tripod and monopod applications thanks to the detachable leg. It includes a bag that is designed to make transportability and handling quick and easy.
Manfrotto Element Traveler Big Features
- Aluminum Ball Head with independent pan lock
- Leg to Monopod
- Telescopic central column
- 3 leg angles for high shooting versatility
Be the first to leave a review.