Elinchrom ELC Mid-Level Monolights
I have many activities and hobbies that I write about, and one characteristic of mine that I’m proud of stating is that I am not typically a “Brand” person, this means I’m not loyal to any one brand of anything. I try to buy and use the best tool for the job. However, when it comes to photography hardware compatibility, you are often forced to make a “brand decision.” To that point in the past couple of years, I decided to run with Elinchrom for my critical studio lights.
I like the quality versus the price of Elinchrom studio lights, and I am a big proponent of their Skyport wireless radio technology. The fact that the system all works with my Sekonic Litemaster Pro L-478DR-U-EL exposure meter is the icing on the cake. Needless to say, when Elinchrom announces a new product, I’m all ears. That brings us to the subject of this post, the new Elinchrom ELC 125 and ELC 500 studio strobe lights.
Elinchrom ELC 125 Studio Monolight with TTL, HSS, and Smart Pro-Active Cooling
Elinchrom’s ELC 125 not only offers an outstanding feature set, but it also includes some additional functions for your shoots. With short recycling times ranging from 0.1 to 0.8 seconds and flash durations as short as 1/7750 seconds, you can shoot freeze-motion and stop-motion shots for your portfolio.
The ELC 125 also uses higher FPS rates and High-Speed Sync at minimum power and features an intelligent, temperature-activated fan with low noise. It even has a 20W proportional LED modeling lamp that produces 3,000 lumens of light at 5,700 K or CRI 92 temperature. This lamp mimics the constantly changing 7-125 watt power range, letting the ELC 125 preview the effects you’ll use.
You can also adjust the ELC 125’s power, modeling light, and other settings at distances up to 656’ with its built-in, 20-channel receiver. Elinchrom’s EL Skyport transmitter works with this receiver as well to enable TTL control across seven major camera brands. Other useful features on the ELC 125 include an auto-on function, precise color science, group color indicators, a centered umbrella fitting, a bayonet quick-lock system, and more. Plus, this monolight has a 100 to 240V power supply for worldwide use.
Elinchrom ELC 500 Studio Monolight with TTL, HSS and Smart Pro-Active Cooling
Deemed an extra step in Elinchrom’s monolight evolution, the Elinchrom ELC 500 packs a few other extras alongside its excellent set of existing features. This studio monolight lets you capture freeze-motion and stop-action shots with 0.09 to 1.9 seconds of recycling time and flash durations as short as 1/9430 seconds. Plus, the ELC 500 enables the highest possible FPS rates and High-Speed Sync at minimum power. It even has an intelligent, low-noise fan that’s temperature-activated. This fan maintains a cold head temperature and makes the flash tube long-lasting.
Apart from the features above, the ELC 500 has a 20W proportional LED modeling lamp that previews your effects by mimicking seven to 500 watts of power. This output range constantly changes over seven stops. A built-in, 20-channel receiver enables wireless adjustments to power, the modeling light, and other functions at up to 656’. You can also use this receiver for TTL control across seven camera brands. To activate the feature, you’ll need Elinchrom’s EL Skyport transmitter (sold separately). The ELC 500 also offers 100 to 240V power so you can use it worldwide, a constant ±200K color stability rate, and an auto-on feature that keeps the flash on standby.
Built to handle creative adventures, the ELCs deliver maximum reliability, extended lifetime and enhanced usability
Built For Your Daily Adventure
Built to handle creative adventures reliably and consistently, the ELCs feature TTL with Manual Lock, HSS, Smart Pro-Active Cooling, Auto-On, and direct compatibility with Elinchrom’s world-renown light modifiers.
The ELCs are ready to go the moment inspiration strikes you.
With Auto-On, the unit is always in standby mode with your previous settings saved, and the onboard TTL speeds up dialing in your next exposure. The Manual Lock function enables a quick switch from TTL to Manual without losing exposure settings for quick adjustments or to explore creative effects.
Engineered to Last
Every aspect of the ELC 125 and 500 has been designed and rigorously tested to deliver maximum reliability and extended lifetime. Elinchrom created the ELCs to last through your next adventure. And the one after. And many after that.
As important as a solid studio strobe is, the light modifier is where the real magic happens. The bayonet Quick-Lock system grants you direct access to Elinchrom’s world-renowned light modifiers. Combined with the ELC’s bright, daylight LED modeling lamp to aid your pre-visualization. The potential to evolve your lighting style is endless.
Stay Cool Under Pressure
With Elinchrom’s Smart Pro-Active Cooling, the ELCs learn your shooting style and adapt their cooling cycles around it, never interrupting your creative flow. Plus, their cleverly engineered airflow design and low-noise, the speed-controlled fan can handle the heaviest of workloads.
Your equipment should never limit you. Whether you are experimenting in your living room or working in a large studio, the ELC 125 and 500 can acclimate. Both can be powered down to 7 Ws so that you can reach your desired depth of field or add only a hint of light. Plus, with HSS, you can freeze motion, overpower ambient light and darken backgrounds.
Edit Less, Deliver Faster
Elinchrom’s precise color science and accuracy over the whole power range enable you to deliver professional and consistent results to your clients with less wasted time and money in post-production.
Never miss a shot with Elinchrom’s Skyport radio-frequency system compatible with 7 camera brands. You also get intuitive control of flash settings from your camera and your computer. Even non-Elinchrom units and speedlights can be integrated into the wireless setup via the Elinchrom Skyport Receiver Plus
- TTL – With Manual Lock, switch from TTL to Manual without losing exposure settings.
- HSS – Sync up to 1/8000s, freeze motion, overpower ambient light and darken backgrounds.
- Color Accuracy – Elinchrom employs precise color science ensuring accuracy over the whole power range.
- Smart Pro-Active Cooling – The ELCs learn your shooting style and adapt their cooling cycle around it. The speed-controlled fan can handle heavy workloads.
- Group Color Indicators – The side logos illuminate in the given color group for immediate visual identification.
- Metal Tilt-Head – Practical ergonomics and a two-way metal tilt-head let you adjust large modifiers swiftly and precisely.
- Centered Umbrella Fitting – Maximize umbrella illumination and extend creative options with the EL Deflector System to modify hardness, softness, or tone sharp shadow edges.
- Wide Power Range – The ELC can be powered down to 7 Ws to reach your desired depth of field or add only a hint of light.
- Bright LED Mod Lamp – Output of 3000 Lumens at 5700K / CRI92
- Bayonet Quick-Lock System – An improved speed ring mount grants you direct access to Elinchrom’s world-renowned light modifiers.
- Intuitive Interface – Designed to provide the most efficient user experience with the vital flash duration information displayed.
- Custom Favorite Button – Grants direct access to your favorite feature.
- The Best Modifiers – With Elinchrom’s best modifiers, the potential to evolve your lighting style is endless.
- TTL / HSS: Yes (w/Transmitter Pro)
- Flash Modes: Action On: Faster flash durations
- Action Off: Optimised color temperature
- LED Modelling Lamp: Daylight 20W 92 CRI LED / equivalent to 120W
- Power increments, Manual / TTL mode: 0.1 F-stop / 0.3 F-stop
- Auto Power Dumping: Adjusts power settings automatically in real-time
- Fan Cooled: Yes (Smart Pro-Active Cooling)
- Skyport (built-in): 20 freq., 4 Groups, TTL and Manual
- Voltage: Multivoltage: AC 100-240V
- Umbrella Fitting: Centred Umbrella Fitting 7-8 mm
Elinchrom ELC 125
- Power Range: 7 – 131 Ws (5 F-stops)
- Color Stability: over the power range +/- 150 K
- Best Flash Duration: t0.1 1/7750 s
- Recycling Time: 230V 0.06 – 0.45 s.
- Recycling Time: 120V 0.1 – 0.8 s.
- Dimensions: LxWxH (w/protective cap) 23.0 x 16.7 x 26.30 cm, 9.05 x 6.57 x 10.35 inches
- Weight: 2.0 kg / 4.4 lbs.
Elinchrom ELC 500
- Power Range: 7 – 522 Ws (7 F-stops)
- Color Stability: over the power range +/- 200 K
- Best flash duration: t0.1 1/9430 s
- Recycling Time: 230V 0.06 – 1.1 s.
- Recycling Time: 120V 0.09 – 1.9 s.
- Dimensions: LxWxH (w/protective cap) 28.0 x 16.7 x 26.3 cm, 11.2 x 6.57 x 10.35 inches
- Weight: 2.5 kg / 5.5 lbs.
Elinchrom continues to refine its range of lights, adding new features and models to reach larger, more varied audiences. The latest from the respected company is the ELC Monolights, distinctly modern takes that are designed to be ready at all times to let photographers work faster. Made in 125Ws and 500Ws variants, these lights also feature TTL support, High-Speed Sync, Smart Pro-Active Cooling, and built-in Skyport wireless receivers. They look ready for any studio shoot.
Among the distinct features of the ELC Monolights is an Auto-On function that ensures the fixture is ready to go—almost instantly. It holds in a standby mode that will preserve your most recent settings and can work with TTL for getting your entire system working together quickly. There is also a Manual Lock function that will maintain exposure settings even if you switch from TTL to Manual. Precise control over power is possible, with both versions being able to step down to 7Ws in 1/10 stop increments.
Reliability is a major concern, and Elinchrom has taken care of the ELC line. Smart Pro-Active Cooling helps here, using a low-noise speed-controlled fan and a well-designed airflow system to keep the lights cool even under more demanding workloads. The new Quick-Lock attachment system is sturdy and makes it easy to use modifiers, while a daylight-balanced LED modeling light provides a low-power preview of your shot. Additionally, Elinchrom has outfitted this series with its Skyport receivers, which provide TTL and manual control from up to 656′ away, and there are remotes available for numerous camera systems.
There will be kits for the lights available, including Dual Studio Kits, featuring either two 125WS, two 500Ws lights or one of each.
Speaking of optional accessories, Elinchrom has new kits to help you get started. This includes the new Snaplux softbox line that is as easy to set up like an umbrella. The Umbrella To Go Kit includes a 41″ Shallow Silver Umbrella and a 41″ Shallow White/Translucent Umbrella. The Umbrella Portrait Kit is similar but includes a 41″ Deep Silver Umbrella and 41″ Deep Translucent Umbrella for a bit more directional control. The Softbox To Go Kit features two Snaplux Rectaboxes (21.6 x 29.5″). If you are looking for variety, the Softbox Portrait Kit includes a 13.7 x 29.5″ Strip box and a 23.6″ Octabox. Don’t forget you will need a Speedring for your lights if you pick up a Snaplux kit.
Be the first to leave a review.